Thursday, 22nd July 2010

    "I don't want to stay with you guys", I stormed into my room with anguish and disgust. 'That's it', I thought as I started packing a pair of jeans and a few t-shirts. My mom and dad fought like toddlers since I was one. They never understood my mentality and were always immersed in their fights in front of me and my sister, who was the only sensible person in our house. We had to stay awake at nights when our parents fought like kids and were usually late to school or college the next day.

    I was done packing and was waiting for my parents to come and apologize, so that I don't need to leave my home. But this time none of the two approached me. The clicking of my watch grew faster as I decided to leave my home. Samantha was not home yet and her phone was not reachable, so I just took by bag and left our apartment. I knew I had taken a wrong decision but at least I could have peace for some time. I called few of my close friends so that I could crash on their couches for the night but almost everyone refused. I had lost all my hopes when the last contact on my phonebook gave me hopes for the night. Xavier Stephanie.

    Stephanie was my childhood best friend and a guide whenever I was in trouble. But my girlfriend had forbidden me from keeping any contact with her as she was jealous of Stephanie. But I had to call her because she was the only one who could have helped me. I took a deep breathe and dialed her number. The phone was switched off. I checked the time on my phone's screen. It was 11:28 pm. Damn, she must be working at this time.

    Stephanie was a call center employee since she couldn't secure a job in her field after doing her Computer Engineering from a reputed university. Almost 86% of the young population had worked in a call center as they paid much more than any sector in India for a fresher and also one gets an opportunity to improve one’s language while the employer pay you. It was the best summer job for most of the youth.

    I knew where she lived. It was hardly a minute away from my college premises. So I boarded a train. It usually takes an hour to reach my college by train but there were no direct trains at this hour. So I went half way through train and took a cab for the rest of my journey. I checked my wallet. I had enough money to spend a week outside. I tried calling Samantha again but her phone was not reachable. She told me that she would be on a date with David. I thought of calling David but it wouldn't have been looked good if Samantha was not with him.

    I was at my college premises. It was 12:49 am Friday 23th July 2010.